Today there are around 24 million online stores open for business, so any e-commerce company hoping to make some noise and drive conversions in this very crowded market needs a solid e-commerce SEO strategy.
But a great SEO strategy requires knowing the industry intimately. So, let’s take a look at some of the most relevant statistics demonstrating what SEO in e-commerce looks like in 2020, so you can optimise your e-commerce SEO strategy accordingly.
SEO for e-commerce stats
This highlights just how effective it can be when you get your ads and content to that number 1 spot.
2. In 2019, Google accounted for just over 75% of all global desktop search traffic, followed by Bing at 9.97%, Baidu at 9.34%, and Yahoo at 2.77%
According to a comprehensive User Centric eye-tracking survey, users are far more inclined to look at the organic search results to answer their queries rather than letting their eyes drift to the paid ads on the right-hand side.
Around 75% of people don’t look further than the first page of a search engine – showing us how beneficial it can be to have your ads show up on the first page.
Encouraging users to your site through organic SEO strategies is great, but it still doesn’t beat engaging, well crafted paid ads.
It’s tempting to think globally in terms of your audience, but since almost half of all searches are local, you should also account for your local audience, who may be easier to reach.
Snappy content can be really effective, but long, keyword-rich content is still preferred by search engines in 2020.
Meaning ads are still a very necessary part of any e-commerce marketing strategy.
We are visual creatures, and find content with images significantly more engaging – something to bear in mind when crafting your e-commerce SEO strategy.
11. You’re 53 times more likely to be on the first page on Google if you have a video on your homepage
Video content is still proving to be one of the most engaging ways to capture users’ attention in 2020.
This stat demonstrates just how important a strong backlink strategy is to strengthening SEO for e-commerce 2020.
So establishing what questions your target audience are asking search engines is critical to driving more mobile traffic to your site, especially since…
Meaning that it’s critical that your e-commerce site and SEO strategy is mobile optimised so you can ensure a better customer experience through mobile.
Visiting online stores on mobile is a trend that’s only going to continue to increase in 2020 and beyond.
Since people speak more than they type, keyword phrases will be longer, but they will also be more specific. You also might want to think about integrating voice search capabilities on your site to accommodate the fact that it will be half of your visitors’ preference.
Creating content that addresses your target audience’s questions and pain points is going to help direct them to your store.
Optimising your website should be mission critical in 2020. Check out our blog of simple ways to increase website engagement if you’re not sure where to start.
Integrating long-tail keyword searches into your e-commerce SEO strategy is a must going forward.
6.01% of keywords get 11-100 searches, dropping down to 1.41% receiving 101-1000 monthly searches, then 0.15% getting 1001-10,000. Just 0.01% of keywords get over 10,000 monthly searches.
3 key takeaways for SEO in e-commerce in 2020
- Voice search is changing the way that users search in 2020. To keep up with this change in consumer behaviour in your e-commerce SEO strategy, you should think about integrating longer keywords and optimising your site for voice search.
- With the help of COVID-19, Mobile usage has exploded in 2020 and will only continue to grow. Make sure you’ve optimised your e-commerce site, SEO strategy and marketing strategy to capture the attention of mobile users.
- Google remains the dominant search engine in 2020. To optimise your e-commerce SEO strategy for Google, focus on getting backlinks, creating high-quality, keyword-rich and lengthy content, and speeding up the loading time for pages.